Sunday, July 01, 2007

My Summer Project: Tennis -- Part I

So every summer I try and set out one project for myself such as traveling to Greece (2000) or seeing the Hockey Hall of Fame (2006). This summer I have set myself a new goal: learn to play tennis. I've decided that in order to try and keep myself on task, I will update all of you TSE weekend faithful every Sunday of my progress toward this goal.

So here you go with update number one:

SUNDAY, JULY 1ST

I don't have a racket yet.

With my wrist pretty messed up over the past two weeks I'm not really in any condition to actually swing a racket, but I should probably go get one anyway. I'll probably pick one up before Entourage tonight.

I did, however, make a big step in terms of the mental approach when I bought a hat like Andy Roddick's from Lacoste yesterday (Jimmy Connors sold separately, sadly). I think the hat will put me in the right frame of mind to play a Roddick-style game. That's right: pretty soon I, too, will be losing focus and getting upset in the second round of Grand Slam tournaments!

Observe:




You can't put a price on that kind of mental toughness. Actually, you can: $27.99. Still... totally worth it.

Maybe by next week I'll have played a little bit. Stay tuned!

No comments: