Friday, April 11, 2008

TMA on TSE - A Tradition Unlike any Other

Each morning, TSE will attempt to fill space and add to post count by posting a generic morning review post about something from the day before or the next day or whatever the hell they feel like writing. We call it The Morning After. Today's author is Ghost of Carl Monday.

OK, who got drunk and changed everything around again? Couldn't have been Seaward, as he was probably out of Miller Chill. And I don't think they have alcohol in the UP, so that means no JTBI. Must've been me. I'm hoping the new design will make things a little easier to navigate, as well as easier to post. And I'm adding a jump option for posts trying in vain to add a jump to posts but blogger sucks and is making it almost imposible/I'm probably retarded. More modifications and changes will abound, so stay tuned.

Anyway, on with the sports and the Tradition Unlike any Other...

"A Cinderella Story..."

We begin with my favorite weekend in sports. I love the Masters, as noted yesterday, more than any other golf tournament and I love the whole dog and pony show of Augusta National in mid-April. Granted, I'm a big fan of the NCAA tournament, CFB bowl season, the World Series and all the other biggies in sports, but Masters weekend is really like nothing else.

For one, there are very few commercials on Saturday and Sunday; usually about 2-5 minutes per hour. That's incredible. And not just because I'm lazy and really don't need an excuse not to move for just under an hour. Augusta National is so freakin' rich that they can just up and tell a major network that they don't need no stinkin' commercials. The pretension is so thick you could cut it with a knife. And as we know, I'm all about that.

But it's really the pageantry that surrounds the tournament that gets me. Sure, the British is played overseas in wind, rain, hail, flying cows and makes the best in the world look like your everyday hack at the local Muni (read: me) and the United States Open is our Open.

But the Masters is Arnie walking across the bridge one last time with Tiger right behind him. It's Sarazen and the Shot Heard Round the World in 1935. Jack winning in 1986 when local media said his career was over. It's about 156 Tiger Woods moments including the chip that wouldn't fall... that did on 16 in 2005. There's nothing like that in any other tournament, golf or otherwise.
I'm in a fantasy golf league with JTBI and assorted others so I'll try to publish my picks sooner than day 2 of the tournament. But this one was picked before the season started. Tiger Woods will win. He has to. Listen to the interview he gave Stuart Scott Van Pelt last week. The guy knows every blade of grass to the centimeter at Augusta. It's sickening. Not to mention his last nine world events go as follows: W, W, W, W, W, W, W, 2, 5. It's an easy pick and it should be.

No comments: