By: Paul Teeple
With the national title game about three hours from tip-off, I wanted to post some disconnected thoughts on tonight's matchup before the festivities got under way.
|This guy is ugly. That is all.|
-A Different Historical Repetition?: Kopech and I are of like mind on this game: it is a startling parallel to a national title match from a few years back... think about this:
One heavily favored team...
- On their second consecutive Final Four visit
- Featuring scads of veteran talent and a sick bench
- A dynamic head coach whose championship weekend was hounded by questions about being offered his dream job
An underdog team with...
- Two insanely talented freshmen (one decidedly more so than the other)
- Surrounding cast featuring more young talent with veteran players sprinkled in to play key roles
- A highly regarded head coach who was in search of his first ever national title
|One Shining Block|
- Returning after their 2002 Final Four trip
- Kirk Hinrich, Keith Langford, Nick Collison, Aaron Miles, Michael Lee
- Roy Williams, who was pestered to the point of televised vulgarity about rumors that he was leaving KU after the Final Four to take a dream job at UNC
- Carmelo Anthony and Gerry Macnamara (Melo was juuuuust a bit better than G-Mac)
- Hakim Warrick, Kueth Duany, Billy Edelin
- Jim Boeheim
|Mr. Leak will not be on the floor on Monday|
*- Last year good ol' Skip wrote that UCLA was going to pound UF. He's picking Florida to rout OSU this year.
There may or may not be a point to these random thoughts. Florida may fight through an overwhelming onus and add another memo to Gainesville's recent title deed purchase of Columbus. But before anyone starts saying Ohio State has no freaking chance, they may want to stop and take a look around. Even you, Doyel.